Job Description: Youth Summer Camps Assistant
Three positions available
Gemini Ink seeks an enthusiastic applicants to assist at our several youth camps during the summer. Assistants report to the Writer in Residence and Programs Director.
• Assist Programs Director in buying supplies for the youth camps
• Assist Programs Director in coordination details of the camp, such as creating and gathering permission slips, camp waiver forms, etc.
• Assist with camp check-in and pick up at Gemini Ink
• Assist Writer in Residence with classroom management during the camps
• Work one on one with students to keep them engaged during writing exercises
• Provide individual counseling to students who need assistance staying on task—or just need a break.
• Lead lunch breaks, neighborhood walks, and outside “free” time
The ideal candidate has the following qualifications:
• Demonstrated passion for creative writing that would include previous involvement with creative writing organizations, previous publication, or previous writing for performance
• Demonstrated passion for teaching in a community environment that would include previous teaching experience, volunteerism, or coursework
• At least 1 year of experience working with children, ages 8-17
• Knowledge of consequence-based classroom management style (i.e. convincing students to participate rather than mandating their participation)
• Ability to adapt to a work environment that changes
• Ability to provide a calming and encouraging presence
Compensation and Commitment
Each position offers $10/hour. Time commitment is June 9-July 12; June 25-August 8, and July 14-August 6. Schedule and number of hours to be determined.
Send cover letter, resume, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org