- This event has passed.
Deadline to apply to the 2023 Bexar County Arts Internship
March 19 @ 5:00 pm CSTFree
The intern will assist the Director of Programs in revamping Gemini Ink’s Autograph Series, which presents writers of national and international stature—many of them recipients of major prizes such as the Pulitzer or National Book Award. This signature, two-day series includes a ticketed luncheon and a free public evening performance, followed by an audience Q&A and book signing. The Gemini Ink intern will focus on strengthening the curricular components of this event so the author’s visit is even more impactful and engaging for San Antonio students and teachers.
The intern will accomplish this by performing the following tasks:
- Designing a high school study guide template to be used for future Autograph Series while also creating one specifically for our 2024 featured author, American poet and essayist Aimee Nezhukumatathil, who will be discussing her New York Times bestselling collection of nature essays: World of Wonders: In Praise of Fireflies, Whale Sharks.
- Creating marketing and registration materials about the Autograph Series for educators and students.
- Updating our current spreadsheet of high school contacts so we have the most up-to-date information on who to reach out to invite area high schools to this event.
- Assisting with the design of surveys to assess educators’ and students’ experience attending the Autograph Series.
- Providing support with general Gemini Ink program administrative duties, including data entry, material prep for summer writing workshops, note-taking in meetings, etc.
Who can apply?
- The internship is open to currently enrolled undergraduate college students who are Bexar County residents attending a college or university in Bexar County or outside of the county, as long as the student is a resident of Bexar County and able to show proof of the same.
To apply, please provide the following items:
- The completed application
- A cover letter
- A resume
- Two creative or academic writing samples
**Please email your completed application to our Director of Programs Florinda Flores-Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications missing any of the above items will not be considered. **
The deadline to apply has been extended to Sunday, March 19th by 5 pm CST
This is a 40/hour per week internship at a pay rate of $8.75/hour. The internship begins on Monday, June 6th, and ends on Friday, August 11th. This is a hybrid internship (part in-person, part remote). Some nights and weekends may be required.
About the Autograph Series:
Recently featured authors have included world-renowned author Margaret Atwood, 2016 National Book Award recipient poet Terrance Hayes, beloved novelist and poet Sandra Cisneros, and New York Times bestselling novelist Ben Fountain. The Autograph luncheon attracts over 250 guests and includes 100-140 sponsored high school students. Through this luncheon, students experience up close the leading literary figures of our times and engage with the contemporary world of literature in exciting ways.
For more information about the Autograph Series, please visit this page. For any questions about the internship, please email Florinda Flores-Brown at email@example.com.