- This event has passed.
Open Writers Lab with Dario Beniquez and Robert Allen
July 26, 2021 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm CDT
An event every month that begins at 6:30 pm on day Last of the month, repeating until December 31, 2022
This peer-driven workshop, held the last Monday of each month, is free and open to writers of all levels and focuses on poetry, flash fiction, and short creative non-fiction. The workshop is facilitated by Gemini Ink volunteers Dario Beniquez and Robert Allen.
Due to Covid-19, the Open Writers Lab will meet online via Zoom until further notice.
For a Zoom invite, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gemini Ink Zoom Workshop Etiquette
- The format is a peer critique session using discussion as a vehicle for feedback and improvement.
- Note that a critique focuses on subjective reaction and trying to figure out what caused the reaction. This is not “right” or “wrong.” Set ego aside, whether you are the writer or poet, and regard this as an opportunity to exchange ideas and not as a contest to determine which ideas are the best.
- In general, the participant remains silent as others discuss the poem or piece. At the end of the discussion, you may comment (1-2 minutes).
- Format for a poem is font 12, single-spaced
- For other genres, the format is three-pages, double-spaced
- Turn your microphone “on” when you want to speak, and “off” when you are not.
- Feedback to other writers should be brief, highlighting what is working, and suggestions for improvements. End your comment on a positive note.
- Discussion/feedback time per writer’s work is approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Prior to the Gemini Ink Lab Session, I will send a Zoom Invite, under email@example.com.
See you there,
Dario Beniquez Ramos was raised in Far Rockaway, NY. He is a veteran and makes his home in San Antonio, Texas. He holds a BEIE from Pratt Institute, NY, and an MFA from Pacific University, OR. He also holds an MPA and MSIE from New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM. His works have been published in The Brave: a collection of poetry and prose, Voices de la Luna, Poetry, San Antonio-Express News, The Texas Observer, Austin International Poetry Anthology, Rio Grande Review, Red Palm, Chrysalis, El Placazo, the Mesquite Review, and elsewhere.
Robert Allen has worked as a librarian and an electrical contractor for most of his life. Many moons ago, he received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature from the University of Texas at Austin where he studied poetry under David Wevill. Allen has been active in local writer’s groups and open mics including the Sun Poets Society. He’s been published in The Ocotillo Review, the Texas Poetry Calendar, Voices de la Luna, di-verse-city, the San Antonio Express-News, and Poetry on the Move. In 2006, he started attending Gemini Ink’s free Monday night writing classes and has attended pretty regularly ever since. With more than a decade of attending writers’ groups, classes, and open mics, he now co-facilitates Gemini Ink’s Open Writer’s Lab.