Screenwriting 101 with Amie Charney
November 16 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm CST
Tuesdays, November 16, 23, 30, Dec 7, 14 & 21. 6:30-8:30pm CST, via Zoom
Instructor: Amy Charney
Nonmember: $150 Member: $130 Student: $75
Have an amazing idea for a movie, but don’t know how to start? This six-week Fundamentals of Screenwriting course is the perfect introduction to scriptwriting. You’ll learn how to take your screenplay from the early stages of building an idea to a full story rich with intriguing characters. We will also focus on how to structure your plot and write effective dialogue in proper industry standard format. You can expect six real-time craft lectures, lively conversation and comprehensive feedback from your instructor and fellow students, written assignments and exercises, and a solid jumpstart on your own script. Here are some of the elements we will cover:
- The beats of plot, and how to create a strong story structure.
- Creating dimensional characters driven by both external and internal motivations
- Techniques for improving your dialogue
- Creating the scene as the essential, powerful unit of story
- How to create conflict that moves the plot forward
- Techniques to help you work in a visual format, like beat boards, mood boards, storyboards
- Proper Formatting – learn industry standards and techniques
- And now what… create a powerful logline, one-sheet (leave behind), and synopsis that can be used to pitch your story to industry experts.
Amie Charney is a screenwriter who lives in San Antonio, Texas. She has a BA in Literature from California State University and an MFA in Creative Writing from the University of California Riverside Palm Desert. She is also the current Director of Creative Writing for the Northeast School of the Arts. Her work can be found in literary journals such as Southern Missouri Press Journal, Proud to Be, As You Were, Oh! Cat!, High Country Magazine, and others. Amie is the inaugural recipient of the Harlequin Creator Fund for Television Writing and is currently developing a new television show with eOne and Harlequin. She’s the wife of a pilot, mother of two fantastic young adults (both Aggies), and a proud Marine Corps wife! She was recently featured in Script Magazine and the Harlequin Creator Space, as well as San Antonio Magazine.