February 17, 2022
“Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen.”
― John Steinbeck
Here are some info highlights from the Veteran’s Writing Collective meeting last night, followed by a couple of website links from Terri Harmon about sensory and descriptive language to add to your “toolbox.”
Submission Opportunities: Military
- http://www.semopress.com/events/proud-to-be-writing-by-american-warriors/. Deadline for submitting is May 2, 2022. If you want to submit and feel like you need extra help to polish your piece, let me know.
- Red Bull Rising – http://www.redbullrising.com/p/on-publishing.html
- Military Experience and the Arts –http://militaryexperience.org/submissions/
- Veterans Writing Project – https://veteranswriting.submittable.com/submit
- Collateral Journal – https://www.collateraljournal.com/
- Wrath-Bearing Tree – https://www.wrath-bearingtree.com/
- The War Horse – https://thewarhorse.org/
- Texas Poetry Calendar has extended their submission deadline for the 2023 calendar to March 15th. Short poems, Texas related in some way. https://www.kallistogaiapress.org/
- Voices De La Luna general submissions: https://voicesdelaluna.submittable.com/submit
- Gemini Ink classes and events:
BIG NEWS – there is now a military/veteran discount for Gemini Ink classes and it is VERY generous. Plus, right now there is a 20% discount on all classes, through 2/28/22. Check it out and sign up today! https://geminiink.org/classes
- Brian Turner, Poet and Memoirist, will be joining the Veteran’s Writing Collective in March for a writer’s chat. Anyone who remembers our chat with Ben Fountain earlier this year knows how good this can be. Brian is a poet, essayist, and professor. He won the 2005 Beatrice Hawley Award for his debut collection, Here, Bullet the first of many awards and honors received for this collection of poems about his experience as a soldier in the Iraq War. Must be a member to attend; email Sarah Colby firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- Next meeting: Wed, Feb 16, 2022, 6:30-8:30. This will be a virtual meeting via Zoom with work to share posted on Wet Ink. Meetings will remain virtual at this time.
106 Ways to Describe Sounds
See you all next month!
Veteran’s Writing Collective