March 24, 2023 Update
Congratulations to this year’s Ekphrastic Poetry Contest Winners!
- Adult Ekphrastic winning poems inspired by The Witte Museum’s Jovita Idar Little Pantry Cabinet. There were no youth entries.
- Youth Ekphrastic winning poems inspired by Armorial Hanging at San Antonio Museum of Art.
- Adult Ekphrastic winning poems inspired by Armorial Hanging at San Antonio Museum of Art.
- Youth Ekphrastic winning poems inspired by Ruby City’s Dreaming Red by Isaac Julien.
- Adult Ekphrastic winning poems inspired by Ruby City’s Dreaming Red by Isaac Julien.
- Youth Ekphrastic winning poems inspired by McNay Museum’s BLACK GIRL WITH SNAKES by Vanessa German.
- Adult Ekphrastic winning poems inspired by McNay Museum’s BLACK GIRL WITH SNAKES by Vanessa German.
- Youth Ekphrastic winning poems inspired by The Briscoe Museum’s Listen to the Drums by Jerry Jordan.
- Adult Ekphrastic winning poems inspired by The Briscoe Museum’s Listen to the Drums by Jerry Jordan.
San Antonio & South Texas Adult & Youth poets!
Poets from San Antonio and South Texas are invited to enter the 2023 Ekphrastic Poetry Contest by writing poems inspired by selected artworks from five San Antonio arts institutions. There is no entry fee.
WHAT IS AN EKPHRASTIC POEM? A poem written in response to an artwork. The poem should not simply describe the artwork; it should express how the art enlightens, puzzles, moves, frightens you, etc. Enter original poems inspired by the artworks below.
2023 MUSEUM-SELECTED ARTWORKS
To see artworks, click on the links below or visit the art institutions in person:
The Briscoe Western Art Museum: Jerry Jordan, LISTEN TO THE DRUMS, 2013, Oil on Canvas. https://www.briscoemuseum.org/poetry/
The McNay Art Museum: vanessa german, BLACK GIRL WITH SNAKES, 2020, Assemblage. https://www.mcnayart.org/event/2023-national-poetry-month-ekphrastic-poetry-contest/
Ruby City: Isaac Julien, DREAMING RED, 2009, Light Box, 48 x 50 x 5 in. edition 1/10 https://www.Rubycity.org/npmsa2023/
San Antonio Museum of Art: ARMORIAL HANGING, ca. 1771, Viceroyalty of New Spain period. https://www.samuseum.org/events/event/2023-nation-poetry-month-ekphrastic-poetry-contest/?year=2023&month=3&day=10&hour=6&minute=0&second=0
The Witte Museum: JOVITA IDAR LITTLE PANTRY CABINET. https://www.wittemuseum.org/media/
- Contest Deadline: March 10. Only San Antonio & South Texas adult & youth poets are eligible.
- Submit up to two (2) poems (each no more than 15 lines plus title; spaces between lines count as lines—except space after title).
- Attach each poem as a PDF, Word doc or docx in a separate email to EkphrasticPoetryContest1@gmail.com
No name or identifying info on the poems. No poems in the body of the email.
- Emails must include: Your Name, City/State, Contact Email Address. Youth must include age.
- Email subject line must read: Ekphrastic Poetry (Adult or Youth) Contest – (Title of Artwork).
- Contest Judges will select up to 3 poems per artwork. Only winners will be notified by email with further instructions.Winning poems will be published on websites listed above throughout April.